Monday, December 5, 2011

Transaction Reaction: Jose Reyes

The Miami Marlins sign Jose Reyes on a six-year $106 million contract.

  • I have read numerous debates whether the Marlins gave Reyes too much, or if the contract is a bargain.  In my opinion, the answer to this question hinges completely on Reyes' health over the next six years.  When he is healthy, Jose is one of the best, most dynamic, difference-making players in all of baseball.  And he plays a premium position!  The issue, however, is that Reyes has not been completely healthy, suffering numerous injuries and maladies over the past couple years.  Frankly, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on t.v., so I am not even going to speculate on his health going forward.
  • What I do find more interesting about this deal, however, is the fact that the Marlins already have a shortstop.  And he's pretty good.  Maybe you have heard of him... His name is Hanley Ramirez.  I suppose the plan is to move him to third base or something.  But is he okay with such a move?  Going forward, this is going to be the interesting part of this signing, as we watch the dynamic between Reyes and Ramirez, one of which is not going to play shortstop.  (I suppose they could both play shortstop at the same time, but that seems like an inefficient arrangement of infielders).  
  • Will Hanley be willing to move?  Will that move affect team chemistry?  Will this signing precipitate trade discussion revolving around Ramirez?  I don't know, but it should make for interesting theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment